Numerous theorists have made the argument that survival after death is the most logical explanation for the data.
Is There Life Before Birth?
To Death and Back Again
- Living-Agent (LAP) or Super-psi: hypothesis that claims that the evidence can be explained as psychic functioning solely among the living rather than through communication with the deceased. Virtually anything that could be interpreted as evidence for survival can also be theoretically interpreted as a product of unlimited human psi.
- Even if we can't demonstrate conclusively that the living-agent psi hypothesis does not apply, when we look at the totality of these strong cases of children with accurate past-life memories, their "cumulative force" makes "the survivalist position seem stronger still."
- Around 70 percent of the children describe a life that ended in an unnatural death, such as murder, suicide, accident, or combat. Though there are exceptions, the life also tends to be quite recent. Some children have repeated nightmares about events from a past life, others show phobias related to how the previous person died. The phobias often fade as the memories do, and sometimes before.
- The various behaviors the children display indicate that if there is in fact carryover from previous lives, it involves more than just memories, but an emotional component as well.
- In addition to genetics and environment, previous lives might be a third factor that contributes to the development of human personality.
- Some of the children have birthmarks that match wounds, usually the fatal wounds, on the body of the previous person. Mental images can sometimes produce very specific effects on the body. If some part of the consciousness has in fact continued from the previous person to the child, it would follow that mental images, particularly ones from a traumatic death, might affect the new fetus as it develops.
Communications from Nonlocal Minds
- A veridical Out-of-Body Experience (OBE) one in which perceived sights or sounds inaccessible by normal means can afterward be corroborated as accurate.
- Veridical OBEs are a stepping-stone toward indicating that our aware minds seem to exist and function independently of the brain and the physical body.
- Detached consciousness may have been dependent on her living body for its existence, even if it could make a short excursion into the external world.
- OBEs have unique characteristics and experiencers do not associate them with the dream state. They are stunned by how different this is from a dream - they often say it is more real than waking consciousness. Dreams tend to be more chaotic, and we forget them over time. OBE remains vivid in the memory as something that actually happened. Lives are forever changed by it.
- Some extraordinary examples of nonphysical veridical perception involve blind people who report "seeing" for the first time when leaving their bodies with their nonfunctioning physical eyes.
- The veridical OBE is "the material aspect" of the near-death experience, involving phenomena in the material world. The "near-death experience" or NDE, is the "transmaterial aspect," where the experiencer "perceives phenomena in transcendent dimensions beyond the physical world." They have traveled to another reality altogether. During the time that their brains were demonstrably impaired, their thinking, by contrast, was clearer and faster than ever before, as if the mind had been freed from the distractions and limitations of the physical brain."
- NDEs involve heightened, vivid sensations sometimes beginning with passing through a tunnel; entering an otherworldly ("heavenly") realm; encountering a brilliant light and seeing deceased relatives or friends; sometimes seeing a deity or spiritual figure; a life review; revelations and life lessons; intense positive emotions or mystical feelings; and a return to the body, often unwillingly.
- You need blood flow in order to give you the nutrients to fire the neurons. During hypothermic cardiac arrest, it is inconceivable to me that there is any brain function going on that requires metabolic activity.
- Death can no longer be considered an absolute moment but rather a process that can be reversed even many hours after it has taken place. There is no scientific evidence that our thoughts and feelings, self, psyche, or soul are generated by the brain.
- Those who return describe as if you have entered into the beginning of death but then retreated from it. You remember it vividly. It seems clear to these people that this is what death will be like when they fully die, and they lose all fear of it.
- Near-Death Experience (NDE): the reported memory of a range of impressions during a special state of consciousness, including a number of universal elements, such as being out of the body, going through a tunnel, seeing a bright light, meeting deceased relatives, having a life review, and making a conscious return into the body. These occur mostly during a critical medical situation like cardiac arrest or in other life-threatening situations.
- The NDE is almost always transformational, causing enhanced intuitive sensitivity, profound insights and reevaluations of life, and a loss of a fear of death. The experience appears much more vivid and "real" than everyday waking consciousness, or that it is accompanied by accelerated thought and access to greater-than-ever wisdom.
- Current scientific knowledge failed to explain how NDE can be experienced when brain function has been seriously impaired. In fact, there appeared to be an inverse relationship between the clarity of consciousness and the loss of brain function.
- Veridical OBEs provide the strongest evidence for the existence of consciousness outside and separate from the body. People say it's like taking off the body as if it were an old coat, and to their surprise they retain their own identity and emotions. The range of vision can extend to 360 degrees with bird's-eye views. These reports cannot be hallucinations because these correct perceptions during OBE correspond with reality in detail, while hallucinations, such as those caused by psychosis, delusion, or drugs, have no basis in reality.
- Most likely the brain has a facilitating or receiving and not a producing function in the experience of consciousness. Under special circumstances our enhanced consciousness would not be localized in our brain nor be limited to the brain. This consciousness beyond time and space, which has no material or biological basis, as "nonlocal consciousness" features an interconnectedness that offers the chance of communication with the thoughts and feelings of others, and with those of deceased friends and relatives. Its roots lie in another invisible, immaterial realm that is always in us and around us.
- Intermission Memories can be divided into three main phases: a "transitional stage" just after death, a "stable stage" for most of the time between the lives, and a "return stage" involving events close to the time of birth. The first stage often involves memories of the funeral and the unstable days following the death, when subjects remain associated with their life and grieving relatives. Intermission memories often have some similarities to NDEs, which have led researchers to contemplate whether these experiencers might be describing the same after-death reality as the children between lives.
- A number of studies has suggested that before dying many people will experience deathbed visits from dead relatives, which reassure the dying that the process of death is not as terrifying as they may have believed. In the days before death some patients say they move in and out of an alternate reality, which they describe as an area full of love, light, and compassion.
- End of Life Experience (ELE) usually occur in clear consciousness so they cannot be attributed to an organic confusional state.
- Sometimes a "smoke," a "gray mist," a "white mist," a "very wispy white shape," is seen leaving the body, usually from the chest or through the head.
- It is remarkably common for a person to have a sudden realization that someone to whom they are connected or emotionally close has died, and to discover later that this recognition happened at the actual time of the death. Thsi ca nbe by unexplained knocks or raps, doors banging, or telephones ringing at the moment of death with no one on the other end. Inexplicable incidents such as lights going on and off in the room of someone who had recently died or pictures dropping off the wall can happen.
- A new theory of biocentrism suggests that life and consciousness are fundamental to the universe. It is consciousness that creates the material universe.
The Impossible Made Real
- Research into mental mediumship shows that a small percentage of mediums do have a genuine ability to access such precise information under controlled conditions.
- A reading is described as being about "energy" and connection. The more harmonious and strong the energy between all involved, the better the connection to the "other side".
- There is ultimately no scientifically viable way to resolve the LAP vs. survival debate with respect to mental mediumship.
- It's important to examine any phenomenon under real-world circumstances or you're not really studying it at all. In a real-world mediumship reading, the people participating want to be there and are open to the possibility that communication can occur. Unless we can prove that open-minded sitters and experimenters are not a factor necessary for mediumship to happen, we have to keep it as part of our experiment. We have to carefully select the four kinds of people involved: the experimenters, the mediums, the sitters, and the discarnates.
- While the statistically significant data demonstrate the reporting of accurate information about the deceased under controlled conditions, they cannot say where the information is coming from. We can only say where the information is not coming from. It must be a nonlocal, psi-based source. There are two possibilities: survival psi (from the discarnate) and "somatic psi" (from the medium's own psi, also referred to as "living-agent psi"). The content of the reading cannot help differentiate between which of these theories is more plausible.
- The mediums report being able to easily differentiate whether survival psi or somatic psi is responsible for the different pieces of information they are receiving. The mediums experienced more love during readings in which the name belonged to a deceased person. Reference to the love that the discarnate and the sitter shared is a common element in a mediumship reading, so this made sense.
- During mediumship readings vs. psychic readings: there's more of a loving feeling. When I connect with somebody on the other side, everything's happy and great. For example some mediums report that "I'm part of love energy ... Reading psychically is very different. I'm more aware of myself. It's more grounded. It makes me feel alone.
- The purpose of the readings seems to be simply to show that the person has survived, and this is what sitters are usually looking for. They come through with the personality they had when alive so that the sitters are able to recognize them.
- In Trance Mediumship the medium's normal personality, as it were, is completely dispossessed by an intruding intelligence, which achieves a varying degree of control over the medium's speech, writing, and entire neuromuscular apparatus. The medium herself usually retains little or no recollection of what has been said or done in her absence.
- After-death communications (ADCs) are spontaneous, personal signals perceived as coming from a departed loved one, which seem unmistakably clear and highly meaningful to the one receiving them.
- Persons suffering a violent death feature predominantly in cases of apparitions of the dead and in cases of the reincarnation type, as well as in mediumship. While the very definition indicates something visual, apparitions are sometimes perceived in other ways, such as hearing their voices or footsteps, smelling their perfume or cologne, feeling their presence or even their touch. In some cases apparitions appear to be able to move objects.
- Ghosts seem to be acting in repetitive patterns and are essentially locked to a location such as a house, plot of land, or on rarer occasion to an object. There is no interaction evident, even after communication is attempted. These phenomena are called hauntings, or, alternatively, place memory.
- A Haunting is a kind of echo, or recording of sorts, of actual people and events. These "recordings" seem to have been made by the environment while the subjects were alive, not deceased.
- The key element distinguishing apparitions from hauntings is consciousness.
- One apparition believed she was some kind of "ball of energy" that was able to communicate by "projecting her thoughts" to others. These thoughts included visual and verbal information that she would "project into the minds of others" so they would "see" and "hear" her as if she were really there. The information she "broadcast" added to their own perceptions. This explains why one doesn't expect to see genuine photos or videos of ghosts. They have no form to reflect light.
- Poltergeists are "outbreaks of spontaneous paranormal physical phenomena centering upon the organism of some particular individual,". Some scientists today refer to the phenomenon as "recurrent spontaneous psychokinesis" (RSPK), which usually appears to be caused by unconscious psychological disturbances and emotional imbalances within someone in the household, often a troubled adolescent.
- The poltergeist phenomenon often appears to be controlled by an intelligence which not infrequently seems to organize and direct the various happenings.
- For normal rapping sounds, such as a knuckle tapping on a wall, the amplitude is at its strongest point at the moment the knuckle hits the wall - at the instant the sound begins - and then decays quickly. With poltergeist raps, the loudest part of the sound was not at the very beginning. Instead, the sound started relatively quietly and gradually built to a maximum before it decayed, and the decay took longer.
- Apports are physical objects paranormally transported into the room from other locations.
- Materializations sometimes appear to be a living being, or living matter, formed under our eyes, which has its proper warmth, apparently a circulation of blood, and a physiological respiration, which has also a kind of psychic personality having a will distinct from the will of the medium, in a word, a new human being.
- Scientific research has been able to obtain objective and formal proofs, absolutely incontrovertible, of the reality of the materializations. They interact with the world in a very physical way that requires physical energies.
- Ectoplasm is used by the creative force to build physical forms, which seem to be imbued with life that can then interact with the physical world. Ectoplasm usually emerges from the medium's mouth while unconscious in deep trance. Ectoplasm has been shown to be so sensitive that if light is introduced unexpectedly, or someone touches an ectoplasmic form when not invited to do so, it will recoil violently and return swiftly to the body of the medium, causing serious harm or even death.
- The ectoplasm which issues in abundance from a medium's body and which the etheric entities use to make themselves visible, streams like a mist and assumes all sorts of shapes yet can be compacted into something absolutely solid while the power lasts. Darkness is a condition required for ectoplasm to manifest.
- The communicators explain how this happens, saying they disconnect mind from his brain and thereby acquire access to his vocal apparatus. The mind is eternal and indestructible, and the physical brain is merely an instrument for the mind to give it physical expression, rather than the source of the mind. Ideally want about 80 percent control of the medium in order to avoid being overly influenced by his mind. (Some influence is unavoidable. If they took 100 percent control, he would be dead.)
- "Living matter through matter" has been observed through some mediums, such as an arm moved right through a locked cable tie, which remained closed on the arm of the chair.
- All the physical phenomena depend on this "vital energy substance," which is both spiritual and physical. It can be manipulated by the spirit energy to change from a smoky substance to something solid. Ectoplasm can be used by the spirit people to move objects around the room.
- When the energy [ectoplasm] has been converted into a form visible to you, when it becomes pliable, when I know that it is of a molecular state which will allow me to work further upon it, I then dip my etheric hand into the energy, into the ectoplasm which I find clings to my etheric hand. This organized mass, from which I create my etheric hand, has constituency and it has weight. It is the weight that creates the problem. It is difficult for us to manipulate physical weight, physical mass, because I come from a world as you know which exists on a finer vibrational level than your own. So I have to slow down my vibrations.
- Spirit people exist in an etheric body at a higher vibration. Vibrating too rapidly for us to perceive. The spirit people have to slow themselves down when they materialize. They then use the ectoplasm to manifest themselves. They have said how very difficult and unpleasant, even painful, it is to do this, describing it as similar to walking through thick mud.
- The love and harmony typical in a séance room seemes to help create the magnificent meeting of two worlds.
- The Spirit world wants desperately to prove the reality concerning the nature of life; that they are who they claim to be; and that death will be the most wonderful journey we will ever make.
These notes were taken from Leslie's book.
Find out more at her website at www.survivingdeathkean.com