- The nature of existence is extremely ambiguous. Spirituality is still largely stuck in an outdated, pre-rational, religious mind-set. Science has now established itself as the new religion ... with all the same narrow, domineering, fundamentalist tendencies as all the old religions.
- Tthe grand religious narratives that gave us meaning in the past have crumbled under sceptical scrutiny, so we put our faith in science, which uses reason to describe a universe which exists without a reason.
- Science offers us power not purpose.
- Our postmodern world gripped by a soul crisis caused by lack of meaning.
- There is a universal wisdom, often called the ‘perennial philosophy’, which contains these ubiquitous ideas. Essentially all is one ... life is a journey through which the soul grows in wisdom ... love is what really matters ... there is a benign presence in the universe that is guiding and teaching us ... the moral choices we make are extremely important ... our intentions have an effect on what happens to us, because we reap what we sow ... death is not the end because the soul is immortal.
- Essentially all spiritual traditions are pointing us to an experience often called ‘awakening’. This is a naturally occurring, altered state of consciousness in which we feel we are seeing the nature of reality in much greater depth.
- Scientific objectivism claims that life is accidental ... volition is an illusion ... the death of the body is the end of our existence ... and everything can be explained through material causality.
- Soul is a non-spatial dimension of your experience in which you are understanding the meaning of these words right now. It is an immaterial dimension of reality. Other interchangeable words include: ‘psyche’, ‘imagination’ and ‘mind’.
- The idea of ‘evolution’ is associated with the theory of natural selection. This is often caricatured as the brutal idea of ‘the survival of the fittest’ ... but actually it is the more nuanced idea that evolution happens through the survival of those species that find a way to ‘fit in’ with their environment ... through cooperation as well as competition.
- The theory of the ‘transmigration of souls’ is an archaic belief that the psyche evolves by passing through different levels of existence ... mineral, organic, animal, and then human, before eventually transcending the world to become divine.
- The process of evolution has gone through three great stages of emergence ... matter, life and soul. First atoms and chemicals ... then plants and animals ... finally sentient beings who experience the non-spatial dimension of psyche.
- Emergent Spirituality: purpose, volition, immortality and magic have all come into existence through the evolutionary process.
The Self-Realizing Universe
- Timestreams are a stream of experiences, as experiences are changing all the time. We experience reality as the ever-changing timestream. We need to think of a ‘thing’ as an event or process.
- We can see all individual things as individual timestreams within the universal flow of time.
- From our normal perspective a thing exists within time ... but from this new perspective a thing is a process made of time.
- The past is always implicit in the present, because every new moment contains and is built upon what has happened before. Time is more than the changing moment ... it is the accumulation of the past. The universe is made of the past ... because it is the accumulation of all that has happened from the big bang to this moment. The past is what has happened the future is what may possibly happen. The past meets the possible in the present.
- What is possible in the future is limited by the past, because the future has to build upon everything that has already happened.
- You are a timestream made of the accumulated past.
- The world as we experience it is actually created through the interaction of the observer and the observed.
- Your experience of the world is not the objective world. Objective reality is not made of concrete objects ... but information. Your particular experience of reality is your subjective interpretation of the objective information being presented to you. Objective reality is information giving rise to the appearance of the solid, three-dimensional world.
- Objectively you are a stream of information that is being interpreted and experienced subjectively by other timestreams.
- Subjectively you are a stream of experience which is your interpretation of the objective information presented to you.
- Every individual timestream is subjectively discriminating its environment in some way. The subjective discrimination of the environment has evolved through different levels ... electro-chemical discrimination, sensory discrimination, conceptual discrimination.
Body, Soul, Spirit
- Moment Zero: the beginning of time. It is the most important and profoundly paradoxical characteristic of the so-called ‘big bang’. This is the first moment when time started and the past began accumulating.
- The universe isn’t expanding within space ... it is space expanding. At moment zero the universal timestream begins a process of individuating into many currents ... which become distinct timestreams with different qualities.
- There are three great stages of emergence - the timestream arises first as:
- Matterstreams: such as atoms ... molecules ... chemicals
- Lifestreams: such as plants ... insects ... reptiles ... mammals
- Soulstreams: which are sentient beings that experience the non-spatial dimension of psyche.
- The Process of Unividuation: at transitional moments a timestream emerges which integrates less emergent timestreams into a greater whole.Evolution is a process of timestreams individuating as more distinct individuals and unividuating into greater wholes. A more unividuated timestream transcends and includes the less emergent timestreams that precede and support it.
- Subjectively the process of evolution has been the journey from simple, preconscious forms of discrimination to incrementally more complex and conscious forms of discrimination. Imagination evolved from the experience of sensation as a totally new emergent characteristic of reality ... which we call psyche or soul.
- Story is an emergent characteristic of the soul level of existence, just as sight and hearing are emergent characteristics of the life level of existence.
- It has taken 13.8 billion years for soul to emerge, but now it is the leading edge of evolution.
- Through the evolutionary process the primal potentiality has emerged as these two distinct levels of existence: the ‘life-world’ and the ‘soul-dimension’. As bodies we inhabit the life-world, but as psyches we experience the soul-dimension. The soul-dimension is a non-physical level of existence that transcends the material life-world.
- The Translife Soul-Dimension: is a distinct level of reality that has been gradually forming ever since the emergence of imagination.
- Reductionism seeks to explain the more emergent levels of existence by reducing them to less emergent levels. Emergent spirituality suggests the source of the universe is the primal potentiality of spirit ... which is neither objective or subjective.
- Spirit is realizing itself as the universe.
- The body is a type of biological lifestream called the Somastream, using the ancient greek word for ‘body’ you are experiencing the somastream as a stream of sensation. You are experiencing the soulstream as a stream of imagination. The psyche is not the subjective aspect of the body, because the subjective aspect of the body is our experience of sensation. Objectively the soulstream is a stream of non-physical information that connects us non-locally.
- We are objectively sharing information and subjectively reading information in the biological life-world we are also objectively sharing information and subjectively reading information in the translife soul-dimension. This soul-connection doesn’t require us to be connected physically, because we share soul-information non-locally in the soul-dimension, which transcends three-dimensional space. This creates the various types of ‘psychic’ experiences.
- The experiencer is a formless presence that is witnessing a flow of sensation and imagination. Spirit is the experiencer of all *experience-streams. You are spirit experiencing a particular soulstream. We are one in spirit.
- A contemporary word we could use to refer to the experiencer is ‘awareness’ awareness is witnessing all you are sensing and imagining.
- We experience three levels of our sense of ‘I’ ... the fixed centre of sensation is the I of the body the fluid centre of attention is the I of the soul the deep I of spirit has no centre because it is formless awareness.
- Through the evolutionary process the potentiality of spirit has realized itself in more and more emergent ways. The leading edge of evolution is now the emergence of spiritual awakening.
- We no longer need to reject the sensual world to explore the depths of soul and become conscious of spirit there has been a process of emergence, through which this new state has gradually become more easily accessible to all.
The Evolution of Purpose
- The awakened state is an experience of oneness and all-embracing love. The deepest intuition that arises from my experience of awakening is that life is good, death is safe, and what really matters is love.
The Evolution of Choice
- The primal purpose of existence is to realize ever more emergent possibilities. The process of evolution is the purpose of existence. Your deepest purpose is to realize your deepest potential ... and this means awakening to your essential nature as spirit.
- You live in a self-realizing universe ... so your purpose is self-realization.
- For sentient lifestreams the purpose of existence becomes to realize potentiality ... to survive and reproduce ... to feel pleasure and avoid pain.
- We experience life as a story. Story is inherent in the nature of time. We create soul-stories to understand the life-story.
- What has happened in the life-story is fixed because the past can’t change, but the soul-stories we tell about what has happened change all the time. It’s only comparatively recently that we’ve begun to see widespread acceptance of highly emergent values, such as impartial justice, individual freedom, racial harmony and gender equality.
- The unconscious oneness of formless spirit has emerged as individual timestreams, which have evolved to become progressively more conscious.
- Spiritual traditions describe awakening as an experience of all-consuming oneness and all-embracing love.
- Spirit is the formless oneness of potentiality, so it’s clear why awakening to spirit should be an experience of oneness.
- The physiological pleasure/pain response is the most primitive feeling ... which evolves into more developed feelings such as fear, happiness and anger with the emergence of soul ... feelings evolve into emotions.
- Love is a feeling of connection that arises when we commune as one with the ‘other’ in some way.
- The purpose of my existence, is to form the character of my individual soulstream, so that i realize the most emergent potentialities. This includes rather than replaces my less emergent purposes.
- All forms of existence, whether animate or inanimate, are essentially spirit. Spirit is the essence in everything.
- Most lifestreams exist on more collective levels than we do, which means communing with nature can evoke a powerful experience of oneness.
The Evolution of Immortality
- Choice is an emergent form of the creativity that drives the whole evolutionary process forward.
- Creativity is the interaction of the past and the possible in the present ... through which something new arises from what has gone before.
- Pastivity: the accumulated past has a ‘weight’ which pulls things back to more primitive levels of emergence.
- The creativity that drives evolution onward has to continually overcome the pastivity that pulls things back to less emergent levels. The more the past repeats itself, the more it forms fixed ways of behaving that govern how things unfold in the future this is the power of pastivity.
- The material universe behaves as the ‘laws of nature’. It’s better to think of them as the ‘habits of nature’.
- The cosmic creative process starts as random change or chance ... and evolves into purposeful creativity or choice. Often our intentions remain unconscious and we act on them unconsciously but when an intention rises into consciousness we can reflect before we act reflective consciousness is how the soul considers what it is unconsciously doing to help it make better choices.
- We want to learn to do things differently we need to make our thinking process conscious ... so we can reflect on our thoughts before we choose how to act. The learning process takes us from unconscious incompetence through conscious learning to unconscious competence.
- We can understand something as ‘good’ if it is valued by the most emergent soul-story of our times we can understand something as ‘evil’ if it arises from a less emergent soul-story and opposes a more emergent sense of what is ‘good’.
The Reality of Magic
- Evolution has itself evolved, so that reincarnation has emerged as a new level of the evolutionary process, which allows individual soulstreams to continue to individuate.
- The evolutionary process has led to the emergence of the immortal soul, which survives the death of the body to continue the evolutionary process. The body can maintain its integrity as a unividuated lifestream for many years, but eventually it’s unable to sustain this level of emergence so it dies. In a similar way the soulstream can stay conscious in the translife dimension after death for a period of time, but eventually it’s unable to sustain this level of emergence so it reincarnates.
- Before rebirth the power of pastivity pulls the soulstream out of the afterlife soul-dimension and back into the less emergent life-world. When the somastream dies the soulstream continues to be conscious in the soul-dimension ... because consciousness is supported by the past of the timestream, not the presence of the physical body.
- Memories don’t need to be stored anywhere, because they are new experiences that arise in the present when we become conscious of the past ... and the past exists forever as the expanding timestream. The brain is linked to our experience of thinking ... and memory is thinking about the past. The brain malfunctions our ability to think about the past is compromised, but the past still exists and can potentially be recalled.
- All our experiences of the translife dimension of reality are imaginary in nature ... but this doesn’t make them unreal, because imaginary experiences are real on the soul level of reality.
- NDEs often insist that their after-death experiences felt ‘more real’ than their life experiences.
- When the soul experiences dreaming it is still in an emergent relationship with the unconscious body and this limits how deeply it can enter the translife soul-dimension. The after-death state is not a less conscious state like dreaming ... but rather a more conscious state in which we remember every detail of our lives.
- Dreaming is usually a semi-conscious exploration of some aspect of the personal psyche ... but death is a super-conscious experience of a shared imaginary reality. It’s interesting that people who have been blind from birth don’t experience visual dreams, but when they recount NDEs they report being able to see.
- At death we enter a shared dream created from our collective experiences from many lifetimes.
- The Imagnos: after-death dimension.
- The Cosmos is a level of reality we find ourselves exploring at birth the imagnos is a level of reality we find ourselves exploring at death.
- The Imagnos is an ecology of soulstreams, which are objectively streams of soul-information and subjectively streams of imaginary experience.
- The Cosmos is an inter-subjective reality in which lifestreams can connect and communicate with each other in the physical life-world
- The Imagnos is an inter-subjective reality in which soulstreams can connect and communicate with each other in the imaginal translife dimension
- Our sensory experience of the cosmos is centred in the body, but our imaginative experience flows freely wherever we put our attention.
- The after-death experience is a shared dream, which has taken shape over time, reflecting our evolving experiences of life.
- Reincarnation is soulstream and a somastream coming into a type of symbiotic relationship, also called Psychosymbiotic. When the soulstream can no longer stay in the imagnos it enters into a psychosymbiotic relationship with a less emergent somastream. This roots the soul in the life-world and limits the soul’s ability to experience the depths of the translife dimension.
- In less emergent states we are less conscious and remember less ... so incarnation is an experience of forgetting. The soulstream reincarnates because it’s unable to resist the ‘weight’ of the less emergent past pulling it back into a less conscious state. The soulstream necessarily goes through the cycle of life and death, just as the somastream necessarily wakes and sleeps.
- The body obeys the soul to an extent, but it also has its own needs and it functions on its own regardless of our intentions.
- Perhaps the reason we sometimes feel a profound closeness with particular souls is that we have been one soulstream in our recent past.
The Emergence of God
- When we receive soul-information that stands out for us in some way, we regard this as a special ‘psychic’ experience, although actually it’s arising from our everyday soul-connection. Most psychic experiences are not repeatable events that can be tested and measured, because they occur at a particular time as part of an unfolding life-story.
- The importance of narrative is the key to understanding all of our magical experiences of life.
- Narrativity: our narratives in the soul-dimension can shape the way our lives unfold in the causal world.
- Our experiences are created by the interaction of the causality of the life-world and the narrativity of the translife soul-dimension. The life-world, which is governed by the ‘habits of nature’, is being shaped by soul narrativity, which creates the magic of life. My body does most things on its own without any intervention from my soul ... but my soul guides the volitional actions of my body.
- The causality of the life-world accounts for most of what happens ... but translife narrativity shapes the storyline that unfolds for each one of us.
- Some traditional spiritual philosophies teach that events ‘come down the planes’, which means that what happens in the life-world is arising from what happens on a higher level of reality. Causality affects things from ‘below’ and narrativity from ‘above’.
- We are collectively creating the soul-dimension narrativity that is shaping how things work out in the life-world. We are collectively creating soul-dimension narrativity, not individually creating our own realities.
- Our soul-stories define our intentions for the future an intention is like a question being asked of the primal potentiality. The answer depends on whether the nature of the past can accommodate the fulfilment of the intention or not. And also depends on what other soulstreams are intending in the competing and cooperating ecology of soul-stories ... which may assist or prevent the realization of a particular possibility.
- Magic is the conscious manipulation of narrativity. Magic is choosing to influence the ecology of soul-stories, so as to encourage the realization of a particular intention within the flux of competing and cooperating soulstreams.
- The life-world is conducive to the intention easily being realized it probably will be, but if conditions are not favourable it’s unlikely to happen. We reap what we sow ... but what we sow doesn’t always grow!.
- When translife narrativity is shaping what happens in our life-stories, other soulstreams are invited to cooperate with the unfolding narrative.
- No one is compelled to go along with a narrative ... which is one of the limiting factors that can prevent an intention actually becoming realized. The less individuated we are, the less conscious we are, and the more we are swept along by movements in collective soul without reflection or conscious choice ... including unconsciously going along with soul-dimension narrativity. Narrativity is a natural process which is morally neutral, so can be used for good or ill.
- ‘White magic’ seeks to realize the most emergent possibilities, bringing greater love and connection into the world. ‘Black magic’ seeks to realize ‘evil’ possibilities, because it takes the timestream in a retrogressive rather than emergent direction.
- We can understand destiny as a pre-life intention to experience particular important events in the next life ... which influences narrativity so that it shapes the life-story to bring about these events if at all possible.
- The idea of fate ignores the reality of choice. Destiny is about life guiding you to a certain destination ... which you may or may not reach.
Realize your Genius
- After death, freed from a psychosymbiotic relationship with the body, we can totally immerse ourselves in the realization of spirit ... which we experience as communing with the love-light.
- It seems that we fear most what we desire most ... because death is love.
- The soulstream needs to have formed the strength of character to enable it to stay conscious while communing with the love-light. When it can no longer sustain this level of consciousness the soulstream reincarnates back into the life-world.
- Gnostics evocatively describe primal spirit as the dark-light. This captures the profound paradox that if only light existed, without anything for the light to reflect on, it would be dark.
- Through the evolutionary process the dark-light is arising as the love-light. The love-light is created by soulstreams coming together in a state of spirit-realization.
- In the after-death state we come together in the communion of souls ... to create god. God doesn’t create the universe ... because god comes into being through the universe. We exist within a self-realizing universe, and the deepest self-realization happens through the communion of souls, which enables the emergence of transcendent spirit.
- As we become more evolved souls, we want to re-engage with the less emergent levels of existence to connect transcendent spirit with all of life, and bring heaven and earth together.
- Transcendent Spirit shapes the narrativity of the soul-dimension, so that it moves the life-story toward the greatest good.
- Transivity shapes the life-story to provide us with opportunities for soul evolution that are appropriate to the character of our particular soul.
- Narrativity and Transivity can be comapred as:
- Narrativity arises with the emergence of the soul-dimension, Transivity arises with the emergence of transcendent spirit
- Narrativity creates the magic of life, Transivity creates the meaning of life,
- Narrativity is morally neutral, Transivity serves the greatest good ... so it always takes the life-story in a more emergent direction
- When we experience transivity in our lives we know we are being guided by an all-loving higher power. This is traditionally called the ‘will of god’.
- Spiritual traditions teach that we have a higher self and a lower self the higher self guides us with intuitive wisdom and calls us to awaken ... while the lower self is engrossed with the experiences of the body. The lower self arises through the psychosymbiotic relationship between the soulstream and a particular somastream. The higher self becomes more established as we re-experience communion with god in the love-light.
- The higher self can also be called the ‘genius’, which signify the deep potentiality within us. The lower self can simply be called the personality.
- What we think of as learning may actually be remembering what the genius already knows. This feeling of deep knowing arises when we become conscious of the genius.
- The personality is a mask worn by the genius.
- Existence is an evolutionary process leading from primal spirit to the emergence of god.
- Although our universe has a beginning and end, it may be that it is arising within a greater unfolding of time that has neither.
- Existence is ambiguous because it’s an evolutionary process that has led to a multidimensional reality, in which all levels of emergence, from primitive matter through to transcendent spirit, exist alongside each other.
- The evolutionary process has led from matter to life to soul to god ... and our lives are shaped by the interaction of physical causality, biological necessity, magical narrativity and divine transivity.
- The purpose of your life is to realize your genius!
- There is no optimum state of enlightenment you should always be in, but rather there’s a process of self-realization that is always happening.
- Simply being loving is not enough, because we also need to acquire the wisdom to express love effectively in the world.
- Love-Wisdom: wisdom is knowing how to live with the paradox that we love others because we’re all one, yet we’re also individuals with our own legitimate needs.
- The past is the foundation from which we can stride confidently into the future, but, the past is the source of our psychological problems.
- Soulology: a psychology based on the philosophy of emergent spirituality.
- To consciously choose how we engage with life we need to become autonomous souls. Individual soulstreams resonate together to form soul-collectives. Soul-collectives can be progressive alliances or soul-collectives pull us back to less emergent states of consciousness. We need to individuate from the collective by becoming an autonomous soul.
- We need to learn to stand our own ground rooted in our own genius ... independent from the soul-collective, yet one with all in transcendent spirit.
- All we can take with us when we die are our past experiences ... because these are what the soul is formed from.
- You need to become an autonomous soul, so you can lift your state of consciousness beyond what is normal in the soul-collectives you are part of.
These notes were taken from Tim's book.
Find more about his work at www.timfreke.com