Master Your Emotions
These notes were taken from one of old Tony's presentations, date unknown.
- The state we are in at in the moment powerfully impacts the meaning we assign to something.
- Physiology is related to how you feel - emotion is created by motion, change the way you move to change the way you feel.
- If we change what we focus on we change what we feel.
- "What else could it mean?"
- Every emotion you have (negative) are messages or "calls to action", to change actions or perceptions.
- Ways to deal with emotions:
- Change what it means to transform the emotion.
- We are responsible for our own emotions, not anybody else.
- Six steps to dealing with emotions:
- Identify what you are really feeling
- Acknowledge the emotion
- Get incredibly curious: what is that message?
- Feel reassured you can deal with emotion
- Get certain you can handle this in the future - rehearsal
- Take action and do something to change
- Depression means you need to reset your priorities
- Your brain cannot tell the difference between something you vividly remember or physically experience.
- Meanings of some emotions:
- Fear - prepare for something
- Hurt - expectation not met
- Anger - major rule violated
- Frustration - what you are doing is not working
- Disappointment - expectation no met
- Guilt - violated own standards
- Overwhelmed/depressed - doing too much/reprioritize
- Alone - connect with people
- Inadequate - change standards or master
- Quote: "Men are disturbed, not by the things that happen, but by their opinion of the things that happen." - Epictetus
For more information see www.tonyrobbins.com